Sunday, October 2, 2011

Apple Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze

So what am I doing at 11:47 PM on Friday nite…Baking a cake with my assistant my Son. I was scrolling through Emerill Lagasse "easy cakes" and I decided to choose this one. It is as simple as it promises. I positively did make changes. I replaced some ingredient to make it healthy by substituting with oil for butter and non fat yogurt for sour cream (I mixed ½ cup of butter milk and half yogurt. This kept my cake moist and soft). Inviting children to the kitchen is great way to get hands on experience and appreciate the effort you put in and you are lured by compliments “Mom it’s as good as store bought” Ahh..that made my day!!
Recipe follows:   Prep Time: 30 min, Serves: 12 servings

Ingredients

Cake:

  • ½ a cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
·         1 teaspoon ground cinnamon , ½ tsp clove powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups cored and chopped apples . I did not peel them .
  •  

Crumble Topping:

  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened .I melted in microwave and this is where I did not mind using butter .

Brown Sugar Glaze:  Optional

  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with 2 teaspoons of the butter.
In a large bowl, mix together with hand mixture, oil and sugar until light.. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after the addition of each. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon ,clove and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, alternating with the yogurt  and vanilla. Fold in the apples. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
To make the topping, in a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter, and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake until golden brown and set, 45 minutes. For doneness, insert knife, if it does not come out clean then do not hesitate to bake for another 10 minutes or longer. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
To make the glaze, in a bowl, combine the sugar, vanilla, and water and mix until smooth. Drizzle the cake with the glaze and let harden slightly. Serve warm.YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment